Lunch and Learn
August 9, 12:00 – 1:30 p.m.
Boardroom at Maine Coast Memorial Hospital
- How do you let the person know you are an ally?
- What are things about LGBT elders that you may not know?
- Why is it even important to address LGBTQ elder issues as a separate issue?
- How do you approach the subject?
- LGBTQ Elders are twice as likely to live alone.
- LGBTQ Elders are four times as likely to not have children.
- When surveyed, 9 out of 10 LGBTQ people feared discrimination in care settings if providers knew their sexual orientation or gender identity.
SAGE's National Resource Center on LGBT Aging Education Ambassador Program provides volunteers with an introductory presentation and set of resources to educate our communities about LGBT aging issues!
As Volunteer Education Ambassadors we will provide an introductory presentation about LGBTQ aging issues. Nancy Kelly is a SAGE LGBT Aging Education Ambassador. She and SAGE’s SW intern, Hilary Thibodeau, will provide an hour and a half training and discussion on Cultural Competence when working with LGBTQ Elders.
RSVP is requested by August 7. Please call HVHV at 667-2531 to register.